The other day I was chatting with a nutrition client of mine and we were trying to tackle why her weight wasn’t dropping much and it really ended up boiling down to the same old thing; she wasn’t expanding enough energy (aka burning enough calories).
You see she can’t control her 9-5 job she has to sit 5 days a week for 8 hours. That’s just the truth of it so I gave her some tips of what some of the leanest people do daily that keep them lean, I thought I’d share with you too.
1. They get moving bright and early. If you have a desk job I highly recommend getting in 20min cardio circuit before the day even begins yes that means hello 5am workout (if you have kids drop it down to 10-15min; everything counts)
3. They move as much as possible. Did you know sitting too much is bad for circulation, posture, and overall health? Some of the leanest people move whenever possible. They take stairs, walk on their lunch breaks, don’t sit when they get home after an 8 hour work seated day. It takes getting used to but once you do it often you’ll get annoyed after sitting for even an hour!
4. They know that going to the gym is just small portion of what keeps them lean. If you go to the gym for 1 hour after sitting for 8. Don’t you dare think that’s enough. Yes it’s 100% healthier than not going to the gym but this goes back to number 2- you need to be moving whenever possible. I like to call this fidgeting.
5. They weight train often. Weight training will ALWAYS beat cardio. Weight training builds healthy muscles (your heart is a muscle too remember :D) therefore weight training targets both your heart and muscles something cardio (aka cardiovascular activity) alone can’t do.
6. They focus on a high protein diet. Protein is the building block of lean muscle. The more lean muscle you have the leaner you look. Protein is also great for your hair, skin, and nails. Everytime you eat ask yourself, “Is there protein in this meal?” **note: peanut butter is NOT a high protein source :-0**
7. They don’t make any foods off limits they simply know their limits. We as humans want what we can’t have its like our brains want it more when you decide you can’t have it. Instead of removing foods from your diet try limiting them or having them once a month. Eventually you’ll feel you don’t need them as much as you thought.
8. They rarely drink alcohol. Let me throw a science bomb on you real quick. The moment you consume alcohol your body switches to a state of detoxification. Your body wants to protect you so it’s doing its job by trying to remove toxins(alcohol) from your liver. This is bad if you are trying to lose weight because it’s the last thing your body wants to do. In addition, alcohol adds alot of liquid calories that don’t keep you satiated. Again going back to number 7 don’t remove it if you love to drink try reducing it.
9. They stay mentally happy. There’s alot of truth in being mentally happy and your body will follow. If you’re always down on yourself you simply will always feel in a rut. Be happy that your healthy and have the body that can move. Then use it and move often!